|Contact Person: Nganzwane Mqwathi|
Address: 6th Floor Unity House 17 Biccard Street cnr Smit Street Braamfontein
Country: South Africa
Phone Number: + 27 + 11 + 339-4911
Fax Number: + 27 + 11 + 339-5080
General Information: Sectors Organised: Football Players
What is SAFPU
The South African Football Players Union was registered as the trade union on the 7th May 1997.
SAFPU organise football players playing in the premier soccer league PSL and national soccer league (NSL) first
The union held its first national congress on the 11 -
12 february 2002 in kempton park where its current national
office bearers were elected.
The Office Bearers Are:
1. Nganzawe Mqwathi
2. John Moeti
3. Roger De Sa
4. Cappy Matutoane
5. John Goodwin
6. Themba Sitole
Additional Executive Members:
1. Doctor Khumalo
2. Chris Fortuin
3. Mike Rapatsa
We have 350 members registered with us and 95% of them
are playing in the PSI.
SAFPU has since its inception set, itself broad strategic
- To improve the material & working conditions of
its members by establishing provident fund, insurance
fund, education fund and any other general fund.
- To organise the unorganised hundreds of football players
who still need to be unionised. Many such players are
still afraid to join the union due to victimisation. SATPU
will take care of this.
- To ensure participation in the transformation and development
of the football industry.
We have the right and duty to shape new policies like the
transfere system and law, to negotiate new conditions of
Did You Know:
- That SAFPU is the only registered trade union for football
players in South Africa?
- That SAFPU offers all members in good standing, FREE
legal advises & representation in all labour matters.
- That SAFPU remains committed to fighting for better
working conditions for all its members.
- That SAFPU is an affiliate and represents its members
in all the international federation of professional football
players unions ( FIFPro ) ?
- That SAFPU is an affiliate of the congress of South
African trade unions ( COSATU ) ?
Aims and Objectives:
- To protect and improve the conditions of the employment
of the football players.
- To secure minimum rates of remuneration's.
- To provide legal assistance and advice in connection
with labour disputes.
- To promote a positive image and improve the relationship
between the players and the supporters and the wider community
in a democratic South Africa in order to enjoy the confidence
and co-operation of the society we serve.
- To seek to ensure equality of treatment fair representation
for all players and to work for the elimination of discrimination
of the grounds of race, gender, disability, creed and
any other unfair grounds of discrimination.
- To strive to establish economic and social justices
for all members by means of regulating relationships between
players and their employees.
- To secure the settlement of disputes arising from players
employment and to participate in any collective bargaining
- To protect the employment of soccer players, to advance
their employment prospects and generally to do things
that will serve the interest of the players socially and
legally in their individual and collective capacity.
- To encourage the settlement of disputes by concilliary
methods. To strive for improvements of wages and conditions
of service for all members and to strive for healthy and
safe working conditions for all members.
- To provide and promote project training, training courses,
seminars and other educational facilities in order to
encourage self improvement and self preparation.
- To promote, safeguard and improve the interests and
status of members and the union as a whole.
- To promote fair representation in all union structures
for members. To promote, maintain and contribute to schemes
of funds for the financial, physical and social welfare
of members and their dependants.
On The Web