|Contact Person: Sthandwa Mhlanga
Address: PO Box 31471
Country: South Africa
Postal Code: 2017
Phone Number: 011 403 7746
Fax Number: 011 403 8703
What is SANGOCO?
The South African National NGO Coalition (SANGOCO) is a rapidly growing umbrella body of South African NGOs. The Coalition was formed in August 1995 to co-ordinate NGO input into the Reconstruction and Development Programme. It consists of provincial and sectoral affiliates, working in a wide range of development fields including land, health, urban and rural development.
SANGOCO encourages donors and grant makers to maintain their partnerships with NGOs, and to continue funding them directly, but does not act as a funding conduit.
SANGOCO's mission is to promote civil society by uniting and strangthening the NGO sector to enable it to influence development policy and advocate for programmes that meet the needs of the poor in the best possible way, at the least possible cost.
To achieve our mission, SANGOCO together with its members, has developed 6 national programme
- Promoting pro-poor social, economic and development policy;
- Developing an enabling legislative and institutional environment;
- Promoting the financial sustainability of the NGO sector;
- Consolidating the Coalition and the NGO sector;
- Building the human resources of the sector; and
- Facilitating information dissemination.
How Can You Become Involved in SANGOCO?
- Write an article for NGO Matters
- Provide us with information on conferences and events for e-PRODDER mail and NGO Matters
- Participate in provincial activities and meetings
- Raise issues of concern and interest for other NGOs to support
- Send copies of your publications to the Central NGO Resource Centre
- Share database lists, case studies and evaluations of pilot projects
- Subscribe to NGO Matters and Development Update
- Comment on Coalition programmes and documents
- Write a peom or song and help create a vibrant culture within the NGO sector
- Any other creative ideas are warmly welcomed
On The Web