|Address: 1st Floor, 480 Smith Street|
Country: South Africa
Postal Code: 4001
Phone Number: 031-3076075
Fax Number: 031-3076074
The Children's Rights Centre is committed to establishing a sustainable children's rights culture in the context of human rights principles. This culture would entrench the United Nations Convention on the Rights of the Child not only into the new laws of our land, but into the fabric of society and human relations. We work towards this vision by:
Monitoring the situation of women and children
Building capacity of civil society and state through networking, training, information services and advice and referrals, as well as through:
Facilitating a movement for children's rights
Enabling Children's Participation
1. Activities: Training, materials development, information services, advice and referrals, advocacy, capacity building, facilitation of children's participation, awareness-raising
2. Sectors involved in: overall children's rights includes welfare, early childhood education, health, education, legal and justice, environment, etc.
3. Area of Operation: We are based in Durban with a focus on KwaZulu-Natal. However our work has both national and international relevance and links.
4. History: The organisation began in 1988 in response to the gross violations of children's rights. It has evolved over the years from these activist origins, which concentrated on campaigns and single events to a undertake projects, support services, including training and organisation building, and broader advocacy, lobbying and monitoring within the context of development.
5. Legal Status: The organisation now functions as a non-profit, charitable Trust.
6. Board Members: Nomazizi Bopela, Tsholo Ndaba, Firoza Jagot, Xoliswa Keke, Shirin Motala, Marie-Therese Naidoo, Ethne Ntshingila, Dinesh Singh, Cati Vawda, Tracey-Leigh Wessels and Julia Zingu
On The Web