||CCS hosts Durban environmental network, 15 November
|ENVIRONMENTAL NETWORK SUMMIT @ Centre For Civil Society, UKZN
PROGRAM: Nov 15th, 2014
9:00am - 9:45am MTB 602 Tea / Meet & Greet
Welcome by Sarah Bracking, Des D'Sa, V. Govender
Video on Durban Port Expansion
10:00am - 12:45pm
MTB L1 Presentation on regional affairs 5 - 10 mins each.
10:00 am 1. SDCEA • Earthlife Durban • Operation Phakisa
10:10 am 2. SDCEA • Durban Port Expansion
10:15 am 3. LaMRAG • La Mercy Desalination Plant
10:20 am 4. Biowatch • Critique of Industrial Agriculture /Climate Smart Agriculture / GMOs, Promotion of Agro-Ecology and Food .
10:30 am 5. Timberwatch • World Forestry Conference, Plantations, Pulp Mills
10:40 am 6. GeaSphere / SA Water Caucus KZN • Water and Sanitation
10:50 am 7. Ground Work • Fracking / Coal / Power / Bhopal, India
11:00 am 8. Greenpeace Durban • Climate Change
11:10 am 9. Right2Know • Joanne Adams: Do we have a Right 2 Know ?
11:20 am 10. Sarah Bracking • Climate Change & Protecting the coastline in Kwa Zulu, Natal.
11:30am 11. Marina Ciardo * Recycling, Job Creation, Youth Engagement in Italy.
11:40am 12. Events in 2014/2015
a. March Against Monsanto https://m.facebook.com/MAMSouthAfrica
b. Sept 2015 http://www.fao.org/forestry/wfc/en/
c. Sept 2015 http://www.wssf2015.org
d. COP 21 - DEC 11 http://climate-l.iisd.org/events/unfccc-cop-21/
11:45 am - 12:45 pm
Questions & Answers * Define Action Items.
• Questions from the audience to the panel of presenters regarding regional issues.
• Each group will establish 5 of its regional action items established by the general discussion on items from the program.
• This should include organizing networks locally to expand your respective bases.
• Religious houses of Worship, Schools, Unions, Business Associations, and such.
• Social Media Networks must interface and network efficiently sharing and cross posting on events calendars.
• Continued organizing is key to coordinated and efficient mobilization.
• Regionalize issues that are challenges in your community as it relates to the environment.
1:00 pm - 1:45 pm MTB 602 Lunch
2:00 pm - 3:00 pm MTB L1 Break Out Session on Action Items
• Each group will discuss its Action Plan for 2015 and address its needs assessment:
• What do we need to do make this happen ?
• What outcomes are we projecting to accomplish ?
• How do we empower our local communities to now own the Action Plan for 2015 and begin to take action.
• Each group will discuss potential dates for mass mobilization with allies at the Environmental Network and select a date for mobilization around issues addressed in your Action Plan.
• Cop 21 - Dec 11th, 2015
• Bhopal India Disaster Memorial
• World Forestry Conference
• March Against Monsanto
• More options from the discussion....
3:00pm - 4:00pm
MTB L1 Action Plan vs Timeline with the whole group.
• Each group leader will present its Action Plan 2015 to the group.