||Slums, States and Citizens: Slum dwellers and the state in Delhi, Durban and Nairobi, 10 December
|The Norwegian Institute of International Affairs, NUPI, has the pleasure of inviting you to a half day seminar 10 December (09:00-13:00):
Slums, States and Citizens: Slum dwellers and the state in Delhi, Durban and Nairobi
The seminar will present findings from a project which studies the relations between the urban poor and the state in Delhi, Durban and Nairobi.
It addresses questions such as:
1. What is the nature of state policies towards slums?
2. How and to what extent do slum dwellers get access to welfare services from the state (health, education, water, electricity etc)?
3. How do the urban poor look upon and interact with the state?
4. Do they expect the state to provide them with services?
5. How do they seek to influence the policies and practices of state and local government institutions?
6. Do non-state actors challenge, supplement or substitute for the state in urban slums?
The contributors are:
Patrick Bond , University of KwaZulu-Natal, Durban
Thando Manzi , University of KwaZulu-Natal, Durban
Sanjay Kumar , Centre for the Study of Developing Societies, Delhi
Tiberius Barasa , Centre for Policy Research, Nairobi
Jens Andvig , NUPI
Anne Waldrop , Oslo and Akershus University College
Stein Sundstøl Eriksen , NUPI
Tirsdag 10.12.13, kl.09:00
NUPI , C.J. Hambros plass 2 D